Friday, 01 February 2013 11:57

Marshall women lose at East Carolina, 54-47

Written by  MU SPORTS INFORMATION RELEASES, edited by Woody Woodrum for HI


GREENVILLE, N.C. — Marshall women’s basketball fell to East Carolina, 54-47, on Thursday evening in Greenville, N.C.
The Thundering Herd is still searching for its first Conference USA win, dropping to 6-13 (0-6 C-USA) for the season. 
The Pirates improved to 14-5 (4-2 C-USA) with the victory.
Senior Erica Woods led Marshall with 14 points, going 5-of-7 from the field and added 2-of-3 from behind the three-point arch.
Chukwuka Ezeigbo followed with 11 points and had a team-high nine rebounds. 
Suporia Dickens added eight points and six rebounds, and also led the defense with two steals and a block.
“We are playing really hard, playing as hard as we can,” said head coach Matt Daniel. 
“We got beat by seven on the road by a team that is in the top quarter of the league.
“We’re not there yet and continue to have to work. 
“We didn’t shoot well from the field, didn’t get to the free throw line enough, but we still almost won on the road. We have got to somehow figure out how to change the ending.”
East Carolina had three players score double-digit figures including Celeste Stewart (13 points), and twins Britny (12 points) and Whitny (11 points) Edwards. 
Britny Edwards also contributed a game-high 10 rebounds.
The Herd went 19-of-51 from the field to finish with a 37.3 percent shooting percentage. 
Marshall finished with five made three-pointers and was 4-of-5 (80.0%) from the free throw line. 
ECU was able to out-rebound Marshall 38-33 and committed less turnovers 20-12.
Marshall controlled a lead for the first seven minutes of the game, jumping to a 14-11 advantage. 
At the 12:40 mark, ECU’s Kyani White tied the game with a three-pointer, sparking a 10-point run.
ECU was able to sustain the lead for the remainder of the half, but a three-pointer at the buzzer by Marshall’s Norrisha Victrum allowed the Herd to only trail 29-26 at halftime.
Erica Woods had five points in the first two minutes of the second half and a three-pointer by the senior forward tied the game 31-31.
Following seven minutes of inactive scoring from both teams, ECU was able to find some momentum with 11 minutes left and go on an eight-point run to push the lead to 45-37.
Marshall then scored on two-straight possessions to trim the lead to 45-41 with less than four minutes to go in the contest. 
With under 1:30 left in the game, a three-pointer from Woods and a layup from Ezeigbo trimmed the lead to 50-47, but lost 54-47 at the final buzzer.
The Herd will return to the Cam Henderson Center for its next game against Memphis. 
Tip off begins at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 3 in the Cam Henderson Center. 

Site Links